9.20.2013

BIA: Back In Action

I have nothing to say except that I suck, I'm sorry, but most importantly, I am BACK. After my three month long hiatus, I am awakening myself from whatever snooze I was too busy taking to revive this blog and take it off the dusty shelf on which I left it. If anyone out there still cares, please accept my sincerest apologies and I hope you can find it in you to bear with me even a little longer for what may be a worthwhile resurrection.

Although I can't say there is a good excuse for having been a neglectful parent, while my blog was shelved I did undergo some life changes that, disregarding the less important, have led me to my new home: the one and only New York City. Yup, that is correct, this fashion fiend is now living in the capital of Fashion and perhaps the world. With that, I know, comes responsibility to start doing some really cool shit and to in turn, post about it. So I will make a promise in this very moment to myself and to you all to (a) do my best to fulfill my rightful duty, (b) set aside my college crap pile of textbooks and papers, and (c) to write a post or two or three a week detailing my New York inspired findings and ramblings.

Despite the fact that this is such old fashion news, I still felt it deserved a place on my blog and that I needed to contribute my two cents. Karen Walker has long been an eyewear line showcasing deliciously covetable pieces. But more than the glasses themselves, her ad campaigns are quite possibly genius. Last summer, you may have seen the photographs of Walker's glasses on the faces of some uber-ly (is that a word?) stylish older women: Ilona Royce Smithkin, Linda Rodin, Joyce Carpati, and Lyn Dell. A reminder...


Via Karen Walker

This summer, however, Walker came down the generational ladder, and sought a new age group of models. The creative result was, to say the least, striking...


Via Karen Walker

What these images left me thinking was: wow, look at the effect real people can have on how we view a photograph. I am not staring at a twiggy-legged, six foot woman who just so happened to have hit the genetic jackpot, but rather I am taking delight in the fact that these everyday aging or yet to have aged, but more importantly NORMAL people are beautiful and showcase the glasses just as well as any model or person might have. Hey Karen, idea for your next campaign: animals. Let's see some cats & dogs rockin' those $500 glasses. 

You know you missed me. Xx

1 comment:

My favourite part of having a blog is knowing others read my foolish thoughts. I'd love to hear from you folks...